Though they’ve been a staple of the Taylor line for years, Taylor’s ovangkol 400 Series guitars continue to be discovered and embraced by players, thanks in part to a compelling full-range tone profile that’s comparable to rosewood. Ovangkol’s natural tonal breadth and dynamic range fit many different playing applications and body styles. An all-gloss body adds a burnished complexion that ties ovangkol’s toasted golden colour tones together with the buttery Sitka Spruce top. All 400 Series instruments ship in a deluxe hard shell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
A Taylor original, the Grand Auditorium helped establish the Taylor acoustic sound. The popular body style makes for a versatile guitar that yields ample volume in response to light fingerpicking, and reacts to medium strumming and flatpicking with a clear, balanced sound across the tonal spectrum. If you want a great all-purpose guitar, the GA is an excellent choice.
Pairing A guitar’s top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Sitka Spruce is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era. It blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Solid ovangkol back and sides complement the top with a sound that’s comparable to rosewood. Ovangkol is an African relative of rosewood that shares a wide tonal spectrum from lows to highs, but with a slightly fuller midrange and a bright treble that resembles koa.
Taylor’s ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before.
Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favourite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, bass and treble controls.
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
Features Body • Body type: Taylor Grand Auditorium
• Cutaway: Yes – Venetian
• Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
• Back & sides: Solid Ovangkol
• Bracing pattern: Taylor Performance Bracing (Standard III with Relief Rout)
• Body finish: Gloss 6.0
• Orientation: Right-Handed
• Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
• Nut width: 1-3/4″ (44.5mm)
• Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
• Neck wood: Tropical Mahogany
• Scale length: 25-1/2″
• Number of frets: 20
• Neck finish: Satin
• Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 “professional audio”-grade
• Brand: Taylor
• Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
• Preamp EQ: Volume, Bass, Treble
• Feedback filter: Onboard Phase Switch
• Tuner: None
• Headstock overlay: Indian Rosewood
• Tuning machines: Taylor Nickel Tuners with Nickel Buttons
• Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
• Saddle & nut: Micarta “Wave” Saddle; Tusq Nut
• Number of strings: 6
• Special features: Taylor New Technology (“NT”) Neck System
• Case: Taylor Deluxe Hard Shell Case
• Accessories: None
• Country of origin: USA